For a list of researchers and descriptions of their projects, see the Faculty Information Page
The Department of Chemistry and Lakehead University has a number of modern research instruments, for use by researchers in the department. These instruments include:
- nuclear magnetic resonance: Varian Unity Inova 500 MHz NMR
- chromatographic instruments: HPLC, GC-MS, etc.
- FT-IR, UV-vis, fluorescence/phosphorescence spectrometers
- mass spec with ICP, CHN analysis, X-ray diffraction
- scanning electron microscopy including X-ray microanalyser
- SHARCNET computational facilities
Most of the equipment is conveniently located in the University Instrumentation Lab
, operated by the University for the benefit of faculty and staff researchers. These instruments are also used by LUCAS, the Lakehead University Centre for Analytical Services, a for-profit instrumentation laboratory that services northwestern Ontario. For more information, see the LUCAS homepage
. In addition, professors have individual pieces of equipment that they are usually more than willing to share.